Friday, December 13, 2013

Anderson Cooper "The fact is, I'm gay."

Anderson Cooper

Well-known journalist, Anderson Cooper recently joined the list of famous gay celebrities who have recently come out in the open, either with their gay partner or about their gay lifestyle. The now-famous Anderson Cooper email where he stated, “I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted”. 

Cooper has in fact, been relatively open about his sexual orientation and his relationship with his partner, but has, until recently, only been open with his close friends and family and never the general public. However in the light of controversy and the usual rumors, which abound in the life of a celebrity, Cooper too has been the subject of much speculation in context with his sexual orientation. 

He states that his coming out is not as much of a confirmation of these rumors, but more of an attempt to strengthen the existing army of out and proud celebrity figures who are supporting the gay and equal rights movement in the USA where homophobia and discrimination are prevalent despite some positive developments such as the striking down of DOMA [Defense of Marriage Act].

No comments:

Post a Comment